Saturday, July 31, 2010

Update

Hey guys. Just a little update on the goings on of my spectacularly interesting life. I'm not quire sure how long this post is going to be.... my computer only has 14% battery, and I'm too lazy to go get my "charger" (other wise known by the correct name of "power supply"), so I guess I'm typing until my computer decides to ditch me. 

Ok. So first thing's first. I am so sad that my Arabic class is over. It was just so much fun, and after it, I feel so connected to my culture and to who I am. I am so thankful that I get to feel that. I feel so complete. I have no idea why, but I just do, and its beautiful. If you walk down the street and ask someone what their race or ethnicity is, most will say: "I'm part Irish, part Scottish, part British, part German, and part Welch". Others will say: "Oh, I'm African American". But the thing is, they were European or African about 10 generations ago. Most of them have no ties to their old countries, speak their language, or practice their culture. Instead, they are simply American, no matter how much they hate to admit it. This is different for me. If you ask my my ethnicity, I can truly say that I am Lebanese. I have Lebanese citizenship, all of my family lives there, I visit on a regular basis, I am Muslim, I speak the language, and I have extreme political opinions about the goings on there. I really am Arab, and sometimes that can be very difficult, but I really view it as a blessing. I get to be Arab. I am lucky enough to be Arab, and I honestly could not dream of a better ethnicity to be. I adore being Arab, even though it can be really difficult living in America. If anything, American is only getting more anti-Islamic and anti-Arab. Also politically, I tend to disagree with all my friends. I side with Iraq on the subject of the war against terror, I side with Afghanistan, I side with Palestine, I've been boycotting Starbucks, Coca Cola, McDonalds, and Colgate for what they're doing in the Middle East. 

Anyways, on a different, lighter note, I am looking forward to so many great things coming up soon!!

A) Ramadan! Ramadan starts on the 11th of August this year, and ends September 10th. (Thank goodness it doesn't end September 11th, or else America would be covered with Muslims partying on September 11th..... Not a great idea). I am so excited!! The good news is that only 8 days of Ramadan fall during school (the first 8 days), so I won't have to fast too much during school which is good. The bad thing is that it will be during auditions for the all school musical... Another good thing is that I'm on my period now, which means that I most likely will be during the first week of school as well, meaning I don't have to fast then, so thats good. 

B) SCHUYLER!! It was your birthday yesterday!! And today it's your party! And I love you so much!! And I'm so excited that we basically have all of our classes together next year! You are one of my best friends ever and I would do anything for you. I love you so much. I love that you get me, and (not to quote rent..) "take me for what I am".  Love you girl.

C) And.... C is for ....... CHICAGO!!!!!! I can't even believe it!!! We are doing Chicago!! Chicago!! I can't even believe it!!! I am so excited!!!!! This is so crazy. I am in love with this show! It is one of my favorites, and I get to be in it! I GET TO BE IN IT! I also love that our Theater teachers listened to us when we begged to do it. They listened! They wanted to make us happy and made us happy! We are all so excited and we're all flipping out!!!! I am so so exciteded!!! I would be happy with ANY part in that show. Thats how good it is. Of course I'm dying to be in the cell block tango. Of course I'm dying even more to be Velma.... I can belt like no one's buisness, and I love belting more than anything, and to be able to belt my heart out on stage would be amazing. I also dance, and I feel like her part would be the most fun. I'm already praying to get her, but anything would be so amazing, that I wouldn't even be sad not to get her because I'm so excited about this show. Plus Ms. Bauer, Coach, Mr. Bro, and Ms. Iacuessa always cast everything perfectly, so I trust them 100%.

I also had oral surgery yesterday, and I now look like a chipmunk, which is always fun. It is so painful, but I don't even care because I am lucky enough to do Chicago in a month!!!!!!!!! Heck yes!

Also, (lastly) shout out to Johnny. Have so much fun in Scotland and break a leg!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm sure you will kick major ass.

No comments:

Post a Comment